In order to maintain relevance today and continue to sell tickets, the Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO) needed to attain new concert-goers, shifting away from their core audience: the baby boomer generation.
- How do we reach and expand to new audiences?
- How do we maintain long-lasting relationships and convert them to reoccurring BSO enthusiasts?
Norbella identified a new key audience to target for the BSO: The Culturally Conscious. This is an older millennial/young Gen X with a household income of $75K+. They frequent cultural activities around Boston such as Museum of Fine Arts exhibits and concerts at the House of Blues. They are staying up to date with trends and always looking to cross items off their bucket list. We identified them as a key opportunity to expand the audience for the BSO.
We analyzed the key motivators, media consumption habits & psychographics of The Culturally Conscious. These are some major findings that adjusted our media strategy to reach these consumers:
- They spend majority of their time on the internet and social channels
- They seek advice of others before making a purchase
- They are influenced by what’s trendy
- Use micro-influencers that speak to the culturally conscious audience to increase awareness of campaigns and drive ticket sales
- Create a custom content series with Boston Magazine which reaches the current BSO Core Audience as well as The Culturally Conscious. We highlighted an influencer in one of them on “What to wear to Tanglewood” to give it a young twist — the influencer promoted on her social channels as well.
- Reach the audience through interactive online quizzes. The quizzes highlight upcoming shows and identify the performance best suited for the user based on their interests.
- Website traffic & organic searches increased by approximately 5% from 2017 to 2018
- Online ticket sales increased by over 7% from 2017 to 2018
- Overall organic search increased from Jan 2016 to April 2018 by about 3%. This shows that we are generating awareness in the market and people are showing intent by coming through organic search.
- Site visits have increased by over 14%
- We have seen an increase site visitors in the 25–54 age group YOY